Monday, June 6, 2011

The King's Speech

In case you hadn't noticed I skipped the Oscar Countdown for this past year. My lack of interest in movies kept me from seeing some fine pieces of work. And so with my change of heart, I am catching up on the Best Movie contenders. My first choice was the Best Movie, The King's Speech, starring Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, and Helena Bonham Carter.I had heard so many mixed reviews that I stayed away from this wonderful gem - I'm so glad I watched it. It was a wonderful human story about a tragic time in history--the brink of WWII--and the monarchy of England. Specifically, following the death of King George V, his son ascends to the throne only to abdicate to marry Wallis Simpson, leaving the throne to his younger brother Albert. Afflicted with a terrible lifelong stammer, Albert must take the inner journey to find confidence in himself and overcome the impediment as the country joins the war against Germany.
Wonderful performances by Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush as King and irreverant speech therapist. Interesting history with poignant human interest and a dash of humor kept me engaged for the whole 118 minutes.  SEE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment