Monday, June 29, 2009

Transformers -- Summer Blockbuster$$

Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen (PG-13, 2 1/2 hrs)
Let me preface the review with the admission that I am a fan of the Action/Adventure... the more explosions, car chases and special effects, the better. It is my brain candy -- my release from the normal drama or high brow classic. I did not grow up playing with or watching Transformers, but I really LOVED the first movie. Okay, now for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen...

It was chock full of great special effects! I marvel at the actual transformation from machine to robot. The transitions were good and I bought the story. I am mesmerized by Optimus Prime's voice. And I absolutely love Bumble Bee. As a local, I enjoyed spying Fairmount Park and Eastern State Pen. scenes. Overall, I enjoyed it immensely. That said;
when I am watching a movie, the essential quality of a great movie is that I don't notice anything...meaning everything seems to flow from one scene to the next and I am caught up in the fantasy of it all. If something happens to make me snap out of my revelrie and "notice" the movie, it's a mark against it.

A few things about T:ROTF -- gratuitous sexual innuendo as well as some blatant sexual comments seemed to be put in the movie for the sake of the young male viewer, though I must say the young males in our party even thought it was stupid and demeaned the movie. (And I'm not talking about Megan Fox). It's a shame because the movie stands on its own and those scenes stood out and broke my trance.
I still liked it. 4 out of 5 (but just because I like the action/adventure)
http://www.transformersmovie.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment